Vintage kimono palette

I’ve been spending a lot of time these past few days being creative with photos I’ve taken of my vintage kimono collection over the years, as I get stock ready to launch my Etsy shop. Below is part of a label I’ve designed for some of the things I’ll be selling in my shop. All will be revealed soon!

kimono, vintage, japan, japanese, fabric, silk, yuzen, shibori, meisen, obi, antique

I thought I’d show you some pictures from the very first bundle of vintage kimono fabrics that I ever bought over the internet, direct from a seller in Japan.

vintage, kimono, japan, japanese, fabric, silk, obi, antique, meisen, shibori, yuzen

It was a mixed lot of about 30 pieces, each cut neatly into a rectangle not much bigger than a post card. Many of those pieces are now long gone, made into purses or lavender wheat pillows and sold at markets in London or at Reiki events that I went to, but I took photos of each of those pieces and still use them as inspiration or the basis of designs and prints that I’m working on now. Such a beautiful range of pattern and style and colour.

vintage, kimono, fabrics, silk, yuzen, shibori, meisen, obi, japan, japanese, antique

Later I also bought many whole kimonos. Each time a new one arrived in the post I’d lovingly hang it up in our home for awhile so I could admire it whole, before painstakingly unpicking all the hand-sewn seams and sewing the fabric into new creations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
This entry was posted in Artwork / Illustration / Design, Colour palettes, Craft projects, Kimono, My Shop, Vintage. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Vintage kimono palette

1. Amy says:

japanese fabric is incredible isn’t it?? such an ongoing inspiration to me too. xx

2. Carol Wills says:

Yes, so beautiful. Japanese fabrics continue to inspire me.

3. Flick Kouvaras says:

Hi Lucy, These look great,such a really good selection in one bundle.
    Would you mind telling me which site it was that you found these on?
    I’ve been hesitant up until now because I’ve always thought the mix would not be as interesting!
    Flick

4. Lucy Patterson says:

Hi Flick

Thanks for your comment. I got this particular bundle of kimono fabrics from Ichiroya about 7 years ago, I guess. I’ve just had a look on their website and they don’t seem to be selling the same kind of bundles that I bought then, but if you do a keyword search for the word remnant you’ll see they do have some mixed bundles of small pieces of fabric. It’s also worth just scrolling through all their other fabric options. They have some amazing whole kimono too! Very desirable! I’d love to know how you get on and what you do with any fabrics you buy.

Have a great day!
    Lucy : )

5. Rabia says:

hI LUCY,
    I LIKE YOU HAVE LAYED DIFFFRENT TYPES of bright paterns to create a collage piece and overall your whole webpage is loaded with diffrent ethsiastic fabolous that i would love and wish to try

6. Rabia says:

i also like the way your spend time looking and searching for fablous ideas to create diffrent items such a as this kimono

7. Pingback: 2010: My year in blogging | Lucy Patterson HANDS-ON